Thursday, July 10, 2008

High school stereotypes, where they are now and memorabilia

I found our senior edition of "The Talon", Rochester High School's newspaper. We called this issue "The Invincible Senior Class of Nineteen-Hundered and Eighty-Nine" with a sub-head of "Forever Young" (must have been our class song). Well, I think we have all learned that we're not invincible. And while we're still at the tender age of around 37, we're finding that getting old pretty much sucks.

I've begun to scan the news magazine and post its pages to our Flickr group. (If you have a Flickr account or want to make one, please feel free to send your pictures to the group, too!)

Anyway, one of my favorite, laugh-out-loud pages in the senior issue was the Mock Election page when we voted Ben Wu as the one Most Likely to Overthrow a Government.

It's true, Ben Wu was a mystery to many. When I met Ben Wu in 7th grade, we were in a math class together. He was Asian, had a slight Chinese accent (or method of speaking) and therefore, I assumed, was the smartest person at school. People would tease him...or maybe he teased everyone else...about being a communist and something about "Red China."

But according to his Facebook profile it appears his true primary activities revolve around marriage and family life, including changing diapers, refilling bottles and running around in circles. And, he and I share a favorite book, "The Count of Monte Cristo".

Still, the vote wasn't too off....Afterall, another of Ben's favorite books is "War and Peace", his main interest does appear to "strategiery..." (whatever that means) and one of his favorite quotes is "I don't want the whole world, I just want your half".

By the way...I love our Facebook group.
I'm having such a good time talking to all of you and learning about who you are now...and I'm wondering "Why didn't I get to know you better in high school?"

No time for regrets....it's simply reunion time. Yeah...that just happened. Cheesy, I know..it just came out.

1 comment:

smithendy@gmail.com said...

People are exposed not to think independently but believe stereotypes existing in society, this source proves that not always a person is what others think about him/her http://livecustomwriting.com/blog/top-5-high-school-stereotypes